Decatur is located in the northern part of the state of Alabama and a city and seat of Morgan County and sits along the Tennessee River that is on the southwestern part of Huntsville. The area where the present-day Decatur stands' land grants were given by Andrew Jackson to the soldiers who marched with him during the Battle of New Orleans in 1815. The city's name was then changed to Decatur in 1820 after Stephen Decatur, who was a naval hero during the War of 1812. By 1836, the area became the Tuscumbia, Courtland, and Decatur Railroad's terminus and was the first United States railroad in the western part of the Appalachian Mountains. It was also the site of the Battle of Decatur during the American Civil War when the Confederates were defeated in its attempt to cross the Tennessee River by the Union forces that were then led by General Robert S. Granger.
Back to Home