Pine Bluff is located in the central part of Arkansas and a city and seat of Jefferson County and is situated in the south-southeast part of Little Rock. It sits on the high bluffs that overlook the Arkansas River. The area was first settled in 1819 as a trading post and was known as Mont Marie. The area’s name was later changed to Pine Bluffs because of its forest of giant pines in 1832. During the American Civil War, Pine Bluffs was a scene of an engagement when the Confederate force was being repulsed by a Union brigade. At present, the city is an industrial, marketing, and rail center, and is also a river port. The city’s basic economy is poultry processing, cotton, lumber, paper, cattle, and soybeans. In the northern part of the city, Pine Bluff Arsenal was established for the production and testing of protective equipment for biological and chemical warfare.
Back to Home