Meriden is located in the central part of the state of Connecticut and a township of Meriden, it sits on the Quinnipiac River along with the Hanging Hills on the western side. The area where the present-day Meriden was settled in 1661 by Jonathan Gilbert, who named the city after his birthplace in England, became a separate parish. It was incorporated as a town in 1726 and set off from Wallingford in 1806. The area's economy in the industry is highly developed, which includes silverware and the associated manufactures, which started in 1794 when Samuel Yale undertook the pewter production. The production of the Britannias wares began in 1808, which are made first from the mixture of lead and tin and then later from an alloy, antimony, tin, and copper.
Back to Home