Milford is located in the southwestern part of the state of Connecticut and is a township of Milford in New Haven County. The city sits along the Long Island Sound on the northeastern part of the mouth of the Housatonic River. The area where the present-day Milford was settled in 1639 and land was purchased from the inhabiting Paugusset Indians and named the land area after Milford Haven in Wales or Milford, England. The city was a part of the New Haven colony in 1643 and was united with the Connecticut colony only after in 1664. Milford militia drove off the field a small British landing force during the American Revolution. The oysters and clams from Long Island Sound have always been famous in the commercial industry of the city.
Back to Home