Sanford is located in the eastern-central part of the state of Florida and a city and seat of Seminole County and sits along the St. Johns River and Lake Monroe that is in the northeastern part of Orlando. The settlers arrived in the area where the present-day Sandord stands from 1836 and permanently settled in the site and established Camp Monroe. A trading post that was called Mellonville was established in 1845, and a former United States minister to Belgium, Henry Shelton Sanford, purchased a piece of the land and cultivated for citrus growing and laid out the area that was dominantly settled by the Swedes. In 18843, the South Florida Railroad arrived in the area in 1884 from Jacksonville, and the city was then developed as the citrus center in the region.
Back to Home