Located in the southwestern part of the state of Georgia and a city and seat of Dougherty County, Albany sits at the head of navigation along the Flint River which is about 90 miles going southeast of Columbus. The area was founded in 1836 and was named after Albany, New York. The area was established early to become a leading market for cotton produce. During the American Civil War, Albany served as food and cotton supplier to the Confederate armies. After the decline of the cotton industry in Albany, the town’s economic activity shifted to crop production, particularly in paper shell pecans and the Spanish peanuts, and on livestock raising. Albany’s present-day economy is largely based on services and was diversified with manufacture in paper products, tires, food and beverages, and in pharmaceuticals.
Back to Home