Located in the northeastern part of the Iowa and city and seat of Black Hawk County, Waterloo lies on both sides of the Cedar River which is adjacent to Cedar Falls on the west. The area was first settled as Prairie Rapids in 1845 and the present-day name was eventually adopted in 1851. The town then grew as a division point of the railroad and a regional trade center. The industries of the city included meatpacking and the manufacture of farm equipment and tractors. Waterloo has a number of establishments and institutions that greatly contribute to its continuous growth.
Back to Home