West Des Moines is situated in the inner part of the state of Iowa and a city and suburb of Polk County. The first settlers in the area where the present-day West Des Moines stands were settled in the 1840s and had then become a critical rail junction in the 1850s and were then called Valley Junction. The town’s first settler, James Cunningham Jordan, operated a station that is part of the Underground Railroad that assisted the fugitive slaves; and up to present, his Victorian-style home has been preserved and is open for tours and visitors. When the city’s economy started to diversify in 1938, the name was changed to West Des Moines. Its economy includes the manufacture of agricultural implements and tires. The services that are being offered also plays a vital role in its economy.
Back to Home