Shawnee is located in the northeastern part of the state of Kansas and a city in Johnson County, it is situated in the southwestern suburb part of Kansas City. The area where the present-day Shawnee sits was called Gum Springs and was inhabited by the Shawnee Indians and served as their headquarters in 1828. The Shawnee Methodist Mission and the Indian Manual Labor School from 1854 to 1856 as Kansas City's temporary capital. The first newspaper that circulated, the Shawnee Sun, was printed at the Baptist Mission in Shawnee language. The first prison was also constructed in 1843, and in 1845, it was designated as the county seat but then lost it in 1858 to Olathe. The city was primarily developed to be residential but also serves as the shipping point for the surrounding farming and dairying towns.
Back to Home