Monroe is located in the northeastern part of the state of Louisiana and a city in Ouachita Parish and is in the Ouachita River that sits opposite of West Monroe. The area where the present-day Monroe stands were founded by a group of French pioneers in 1785 from the southern part of Louisiana under the leadership of Don Juan Filhiol, who established Fort Miro and the first trading post on a land grant that was granted by King Charles X of Spain. The area was initially called Prairie de Canots or the Prairies of Canoes, and in 1819 was renamed to Monroe after James Monroe, who arrived on the site via a steamboat, which first ascends the river. Monroe and West Monroe has been focusing on manufacturing and commerce within the surrounding rural parishes, and wherein cattle raising a dominant economic activity.
Back to Home