Battle Creek was located in the southern-central part of the state of Michigan and a city in Calhoun County. It sits along the juncture of Battle Creek in the Kalamazoo River that is in the eastern part of Kalamazoo and the southwestern part of Lansing. The area where the present-day Battle Creek stands was settled in 1831 and was then called "battle" in 1834 because of the battle that took place along the riverbank between the two Indians and two members of the surveying party. The site became a flour and wool mill center and was the headquarters of the Seventh-day Adventist denomination. At present, the United States government is operating a defense logistics center and many other government agencies on the former grounds of Battle Creek Sanitarium.
Back to Home