Blaine is located in the state of Minnesota and a city in Anoka and Ramsey counties, and its territory was mainly in Anoka County and a part of the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area. Blaine was a part of the Anoka township until 1877, presently known as Coon Rapids, Minnesota. In 1862, a native of Ireland, Phillip Leddy, settled in the nearby lake that now bears his misspelled name, Laddie Lake. One of the pioneers in the area was the Englishman, George Townsend. However, he lived in the area for a brief time near the present-day Lever St. and 103rd Ave. Blaine's first permanent resident arrived in 1865, Greenberry Chambers, who settled on the old Townsend claim. Many of the other communities in the nearby Anoka County experienced and developed farming, however, with the city's sandy soil and abundant wetlands discouraged the farmers. They just retained the area as a hunting area.
Back to Home