East Orange is located in the northeastern part of the state of New Jersey and a city in Essex County, wherein it adjoins Newark on the northwestern side. The area where the present-day East Orange was was first settled in 1678 by the first 30 families that arrived from Newark. After this, it was set off from the Orange Township and, in 1863, was established as a municipality. The area was primarily a residential suburb and is also an industrial section that was called Ampere when FrancisBacon Crocker and Schuyler S. Wheeler then began to manufacture electric motors in the city in the early part of the 1890s. Other manufactures include plastics, chemicals, and signs.
Back to Home