Located in the northeastern part of the state of New Jersey and a city in Passaic County. The area where the city presently stands was established by the Dutch as a fur-trading post in 1678. It was then purchased from the Delaware Indians, then called Acwuacknock. The area was then renamed to Passaic River, and during the American Revolution, the area was occupied by the troops of General George Washington, and following their retreat, the British Geneta; Lord Cornwallis was quartered in the area. The area thrived as a river port until the completion of the Morris Canal which was located between Newark and Phillipsburg. And with the building of the railroad, the area’s river commerce went even further.
Back to Home