Wilson is located in the eastern-central part of the state of North Carolina and a city and seat of Wilson County. It sits midway in between the Rocky Mount on the northern side and Goldsboro on the southern part of the eastern part of Raleigh. The area where the present-day Wilson was settled in the middle of the 18trh century around the Baptist Church and the site was initially known as Hickory Grove. The village, along with is neighboring Toisnot Junction were incorporated together as the present-day Wilson in 1849, whose name was taken after General Louis D. Wilson, who was a soldier who died at Vera Cruz during the Mexican War. The community was developed as a leading market for bright-leaf tobacco.
Back to Home