Located in the northeastern part of the state of Ohio and a city in Cuyahoga County and is a suburb of Cleveland. The area was first settled by people from New England and was known as Greenbriar, and was then renamed and became the township of Parma, whose name was taken from an Italian city. A small section then seceded from Parma to form Parma Heights in 1911, and the remainder of the township then became the village of Parma in 1924. There was once a proposal in 1931 for the annexation to Cleveland that was defeated, and thus, organizing the present-day Parma as a city. With the industrial expansion during World War II, and of the postwar urban flight from Cleveland to its suburbs, Parma’s population increased more than five times in between 1940 and 1960.
Back to Home