Located in the southwestern part of the state of Oklahoma and the county seat of Comanche County, Lawton is situated along the Cache Creek, and wherein the original part of the Choctaw-Chickasaw lands that belong to the Indian Territory was settled. It was recorded that the first settlers were Kiowa and Comanche Indians that date back to 1869. There was a settlement that was established near a military post that was installed with the main purpose of controlling the Indians - Fort Sill was organized in the city. The city was named after General Henry W. Lawton, who was involved in the captain that aims to capture Geronimo, the Apache leader. Eventually, the Indian lands were sold at auction, and there were more than 25,000 white settlers that came in to participate in the bidding. The area where Lawton lies has vast farms and grazing lands, granite quarries, limestones, and also oil wells.
Back to Home