Harrisburg is located and the capital city of the state of Pennsylvania and was the seat of Dauphin County that is on the eastern bank of Susquehanna River and is on the western part of Philadelphia. The city was considered to be a hub of an urbanized area, which includes the towns of Steelton, Paxtang, Penbrook, Colonial Park, Linglestown, Hershey, Middletown, and Camp Hill, among others. In 1705, after receiving his license to trade with the Susquehannock Indians, an Englishman named John Harris entrenched a trading post and a ferry service in the area where the present-day Harrisburg stands. The settlement was called Louisburg in honor of King Louis XVI of France and was changed to Harrisburg when it was laid out in 1785 in honor of John Harris.
Back to Home