Bartlett is a city located northeast of Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee, United States. The society from which Bartlett City originated was first named Union Depot and Green Bottom. It was Tennessee's last major way station along the Nashville westward stagecoach route. It came into being around 1830 when the stages were taken over by the Memphis & Ohio Railway, and Bartlett served as a depot. It was an agricultural region, with large plantations along Stage Street. On 1 November 1866, the town was officially incorporated with a population of less than 100, and the name changed to Bartlett. Bryan Wither was elected the first Mayor of the city upon incorporation. It was named after Major Gabriel M. Bartlett, a planter whose home was situated at the present location of Bartlett Station Plaza on the former Raleigh-Somerville Street.
Back to Home