Located in the central part of the state of Tennessee and city and seat of Williamson County, Franklin lies in the Harpeth River and is about 20 miles from the south of the city of Nashville. The area was settled and named after Benjamin Franklin in 1799. It became a highly successful center for agriculture prior to the American Civil War, the area was known for the bloody battle that was fought in the area in 1864. The Confederate forces under General B. Hood’s command a frontal attack on a Union army that was entrenched by the river. The battle has marked the failure of Hood’s Tennessee Campaign, and his army eventually disintegrated a few weeks after the Battle of Nashville.
Back to Home