Jackson is situated in the western part of the state of Tennessee and a city and seat of Madison County and sits on the northeastern part of the city of Memphis. The area was initially settled as a port along the Forked Deer River in 1819 and was then eventually developed as a deport for cotton and as a junction for the railroad. It was initially named Alexandria and was later renamed to honor General Andrew Jackson in 1822. The community was used as a supply point during the American Civil War by both the Union and Confederate troops, and also became a site of a minor engagement that took place in 1862. With the establishment of Union University, Jackson's growth was then fostered, and the city's economy became well-diversified that was primarily based on agriculture and has centered on cotton, soybeans, and corn, and other industries that were established.
Back to Home