Johnson City is situated in the northeastern part of the state of Tennessee and a city in Washington County. It sits along the southern part of the Appalachian Mountains and is on the northeast part of Knoxville and is just west of Elizabethton. The area was first settled in the 1760s and was originally a part of the state of North Carolina, wherein it was included in the Watauga Association, which is a form of self-government that was organized in 1772. With the arrival in the 1950s of East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad, the area grew along with the railroad depot and was then called Johnson's Depot named after Henry Johnson, who was part of the early settlers and a postmaster and eventually became the first mayor. The area's economy was primarily based on agriculture, services, and manufacturing.
Back to Home