Beloit is located in the southern part of the state of Wisconsin and a city in Rock County. It sits along the confluence of the Rock River and Turtle Creek, which is located along the Illinois state line. The area was inhabited originally by the Ho-Chunk Nation or the Winnebago Indians when the first group of the permanent settlers arrived, the site was then purchased by Caleb Blodgett from New Hampshire, from the French fur trader in 1836. After a year, there were more settlers who followed coming from New Hampshire, and they called themselves the New England Immigrating Company. However, the community was then renamed to Beloit after. Beloit College was founded in the area in 1846 when the villagers pledged land, money, and labor for the construction.