Located in the western part of the state of Milwaukee, the area was first settled near the Potawatomi Indian village and was called Prairieville. It was renamed Waukesha in 1846. It was also a station on the Underground Railroad for runaway slaves, and it was also an abolitionist center before the start of the American Civil War. At the start of 1870, Waukesha became a health resort and was known for its abundant mineral springs, and later in the mid-20th century that its mud baths became a popular tourist attraction. The city’s diversified economy included foundries, printing, food processing, and the manufacture of medical equipment, and others.
Back to Home