Back to Home

Wauwatosa is located in the southeastern part of the state of Wisconsin and a city and the western suburb of Milwaukee in Milwaukee County. It sits in the Menominee River on the northern part of West Allis. The area where the present-day Wauwatosa stands were inhabited by the Potawatomi and Menominee Indians. The city was settled in 1835 and was the first community that was attached to Milwaukee township. The early settlers used the river’s water power to construct a grist mill and a sawmill. The population was then separated from Milwaukee and was subsequently named as Wauwatosa in honor of the Potawatomi chief Wauwautaesi and is a Potawatomi word that means “firefly.”